Friday, April 10, 2015

Diet Woes, Day 10

The desire to consume I shouldn't is a tough battle to fight. A friend says the first week is the worst. Well today we've passed the 1 week mark, and the jury is still out regarding the truth of that statement.

Last night's healthy dinner was filling but unsatisfying, so I gave in and allowed myself 3 oreos. I don't regret it. Well, not much. I stayed within my calorie reach and got to slightly satisfy that need. Part of me says "you were full! That's 130 calories you could have gone without!" but the other part of me says "shut up; it was amazingly delicious." The problem is that second voice also says "I want more".

I'm a realist: cookie binge will happen again. To combat the following guilt, which will also happen again, I think the best defense is to make my own cookies. To that end, I search the internet (again) for healthy cookie recipes. Many sites boast healthy, like Cooking Light's list, but reviewing the ingredients and the amount of sugars allowed has me questioning their claim. A look at the ingredients on the healthiest chocolate chip cookie recipe ever from Everyday Health is much more accurate. My research has me concluding that a reduction in sugar (such as suggested here) and an addition of healthy things, like oats and bananas, is really all it takes to make a healthy cookie. I might not get a big reduction in calories, but I will have a reduction in concern of what I'm putting in my body. (Oreo Ingredients: SUGAR, UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), HIGH OLEIC CANOLA AND/OR PALM AND/OR CANOLA OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORNSTARCH, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SALT, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLIN--AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CHOCOLATE.) I feel better just thinking about it.

New Rule: Can only consume sweets if they are baked by my own hands.

This isn't about dieting for weight loss after all, it's about dieting for improved healthy habits. (I think a bit of CA is getting into my blood after all)

I've also made the decision, after having a week off, to start the workout routine up again. Since my mind keeps wandering back to the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution program, I've decided to do a mash-up of this program with T25. That will begin Monday. I will be mostly Jillian Michaels, but we're going to replace her cardio with T25 workouts. Should be a good mix of both programs to keep me engaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment